I hesitate to even call this a tutorial, because there are million like this, and you could figure this out all by yourself. My baby doesn’t have a fall hat that fits, and I wanted him to wear one while it was breezy yesterday, so I busted out this one in less time than I could even google “easy baby hat tutorial.” So can you, probably without my instructions. But anyways, here is how to make a quick and easy cotton baby hat for those shoulder seasons (spring and fall), or newborns any time of the year. I made this in less than a minute yesterday, including dusting off the sewing machine and plugging it in, turning it on, etc. It’s that easy.
- Find an old cotton knit t-shirt or leggings. (I used some really old long underwear.)
- Try the sleeve on your baby’s head to make sure it will fit snugly. (For leggings/pants, just hack off the leg where you think it will fit your baby. You can measure, but this is supposed to be quick & easy. I got it right the second try.)
- Cut the sleeve/pant leg down to hat-size, higher than you think you will need. (You can always shorten.)
- Turn inside out, sew one end closed with a zig zag stitch. You can even do this by hand, but it will take more like 10 minutes
- Turn right side out, put on cute baby, take a picture. You’re done!