Jason planted our garlic last Thursday, 10/29/09. We’re a couple of weeks behind last year (10/12/08), but there’s been so much rain that we just did it when we could.
I pulled out our garlic harvest and sorted out a large bowl full of the largest heads. From those, I plucked the largest cloves, totalling 115 (or more, Jason thinks). We’ll eat what’s left, but it won’t last us all winter. That’s okay. It’s so tasty!
We didn’t do any fancy prep this year; no time. We didn’t peel them, or soak them overnight in baking soda water, or dip them in rubbing alcohol for 3-4 minutes prior to planting. (These are all probably great things to do, and we did them last year, but there wasn’t time this year. So we’ll have next summer’s harvest to compare, and see if all the prep last year was really worth it.) Jason dug up the northwest row (where peas were planted this year) inside the big garden fence and planted the garlic right in the ground, 3-4″ deep, three rows 12″ apart, 6″ spacings within the row. We decided to space the rows further apart this year so that the garlic doesn’t need to be watered unless it gets really dry; last year, we planted 6″ spaces and 6″ rows in order to fit them all in our little prepared raised bed. But we have more space ready this year, so we stretched them out a bit.
Hopefully, we’ll get a good harvest next July!