This so, so good. Perfect for Sunday morning – prepare it the night before, then just throw it in the oven upon rising. I like to garnish mine with cream (or half & half), milk, or yogurt. Or ice cream!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 – 1 cup sweetener (try sucanat, rapadura, brown sugar, or plain old white sugar)
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups milk (less if you like it dryer and a more defined oat; more if you like it moister with a touch of mush)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup liquid fat (cooled melted butter is best; also try extra virgin olive oil, or 1/4 c applesauce + 1/4 butter/evoo)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (try cranberries or raisins)
- NIGHT BEFORE: In a large bowl, mix together oats, sweetener, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, liquid fat, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried fruit. Spread into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Uncover and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Did I mention how good this is?
- I want to try this with sliced apples and/or blueberries added to it.
- This would rock with walnuts or pecans, if you like nuts.
- Seriously, try it with ice cream. I like to make it with less milk if I think I’ll be eating it with ice cream.