Updated May 2017.
I’ve had several requests over the years for my chocolate cake recipe. It’s so easy, uses only one dish to prep and bake, and is great for days when you’re out of eggs and milk.
- 1⅔ cups flour (whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour, freshly ground)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or granulated sugar (Sucanat)
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients with fork in ungreased 8 x 8 x 2 square baking pan (I use my grandmother's old glass version).
- Stir in everything else, except chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.